Great Reasons to Try Zumba
I belong to my local YMCA. Typically I didn't go to group exercise classes, but a friend of mine talked me into taking an abdominal workout class. I really liked the class and I loved the instructor; she made us so sore, but my abs were getting tight. One day during class she told us that another instructor and herself were going to launch Zumba at our YMCA.
At first I said to myself what is Zumba? Zumba fuses Latin music with simple dance/exercise steps to produce a fitness class that you will leave smiling. Zumba was created by "Beto" Perez in Colombia in the mid-90s when he forgot his music for his aerobics class. Beto used the Latin music he had in his backpack to improvise a new class; therefore creating the what has become the world wide sensation: Zumba. Here are some great reasons to try a Zumba class if you haven't already.
1. Everyone's doing it. Okay, I know most of our mothers said just because everyone else does something doesn't mean that we should also do it. However, in this case I think mothers would agree it's a great time. Zumba is taught at over 50,000 locations in more than 75 countries. Both men and women take this class.
2. You don't have to be good at it. Zumba is about having fun and moving your body to the beat. Yes, there is coreographed instruction, but if you change something or miss a step no one cares.
3. Anyone can do it. Even if you are not in great shape or you have an injury; Zumba can be tailored to any fitness level.
4. In a one hour workout, you can burn up to 700 calories. The amount of calories you burn of course depends on your intensity. The harder you work, the more calories you burn.
5. It's not only a cardio workout, but a toning workout. Not only will you burn lots of calories, but you will tone your muscles. If you learn to more your hips and tighten up your abs during the class, you will strengthen your core.
6. You can sing, shout and clap during class. Most instructors encourage the class to sing along with the music or to yell out when they like something during class; and clapping is a must in many songs.
There aren't too many exercise classes that I would call fun; but ZUMBA is definitely one of them. So turn off your computer and go try it. Leaving with a smile is guaranteed.